4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

Using Brakes

Go down 
+8
JohnnyTsunami
SPARTA
MidnightblueMR2
bomjoon
~The_Duke~
specVance
Z Infidel
scars_of_carma
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
~The_Duke~
Touge Master

Using Brakes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 7:13 am

I straight line brake before I enter the corner slowing to the speed at which I can take the corner at, and still have uh oh room, lifting off the brake just after my turn in letting the engine slow me alil more while switching to throttle. I heel\toe as well so I am at the lowest gear I can safely be in helping to keep the car stuck. With this car, the back end will be slightly out of line with the front. If it is a constatance radius, you should apex in the middle of the turn if there is a straight following. If there isnt a straight following, then you need to adjust your apex accordingly to setup up for the next turn.

I try to stay off the brakes as much as possible, if you are on the to much it will cause fading issues after a couple mins.

If I am autox'ing, I dont leave uh oh room because there are cones instead of cliffs and trees.
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 7:02 pm

I see, my driving style is to over speed and start rotating the car early so I can use grip from all 4 tire to grip, slow down, change direction, and accelerate
Back to top Go down
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:53 am

~The_Duke~ wrote:
I try to stay off the brakes as much as possible, if you are on the to much it will cause fading issues after a couple mins.

Cars like that scare me. I had a couple, my Z and my 1st gen RX7 were fade-happy-cars. Time to do some upgrades! You drive a miata right? There should be plenty of aftermarket parts/tips for em.

You also said you've tweaked with your brake proportioning valve? That's balsy but hey if it works to each their own. I think upgrading your equipment would be a better solution though.

My attitude about brakes is always to spare no expense and take no chances. I rebuild/overhaul/upgrade brakes first thing on a new project. Way before I even consider power-upgrades.

MidnightblueMR2 wrote:
I see, my driving style is to over speed and start rotating the car early so I can use grip from all 4 tire to grip, slow down, change direction, and accelerate

That is one of my favorite things to do but that is also a bit beyond the pace I try to limit myself too on the touge. That sort of scrub-braking is very fast when done properly though. You do that in an MR2??? that takes some balls! lol
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:53 am

Brake fad scares me, my equipment is preventing it as well as my driving. I am making sure it DOESNT happen... lol

I have some wilwood 2 peice rotors (11") and the dynalite calipers on the front, with some nice wilwood pads. The rear has stock calipers with 11" rotor adapters with portfield pads. SS lines all the way around with super blue in them.

I havent tested their fade proofing yet, but if I had to guess with such a little car and good equipment I shouldnt have any problems unless I ride the brakes allllll they wa down the mountain.
Back to top Go down
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:41 pm

^ Nice upgrades! I would be surprised if you had any fade at all with that setup honestly.
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 7:08 am

Better safe than sorry though, brakes are one of those things I would rather overkill than really wish I had more of when they fade out at 80mph next to a cliff.
Back to top Go down
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 3:54 pm

~The_Duke~ wrote:
Better safe than sorry though, brakes are one of those things I would rather overkill than really wish I had more of when they fade out at 80mph next to a cliff.

No argument here lol
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Learn how to go around the same cliff at 80mph with next to no brakes and you'll be able to do 120 with them

~true story
Back to top Go down
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 6:14 pm

MidnightblueMR2 wrote:
Learn how to go around the same cliff at 80mph with next to no brakes and you'll be able to do 120 with them

~true story

You could do that, but you would be going slower than somebody who actually uses braking zones correctly.

~true story
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 6:40 pm

What I am saying is learn how to brake without using force from the brake pedal
Back to top Go down
JohnnyTsunami

JohnnyTsunami

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 7:15 am

I remove my brakes. They just slow me down! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 10:40 pm

MidnightblueMR2 wrote:

What do you mean by that?

Do you mean that you would scrub speed off by going in too hot into a corner and under steer to scrub off speed?
Back to top Go down
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Minnoe07 wrote:
MidnightblueMR2 wrote:

What do you mean by that?

Do you mean that you would scrub speed off by going in too hot into a corner and under steer to scrub off speed?

Yeah I believe that's what he means, though understeering isn't the best term for scrubbing speed like that. It's more like a 4-wheel deceleration drift.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Brakes   Using Brakes - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using Brakes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: