4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.

Go down 
+7
SPARTA
breel
SANDERS
J_P
specVance
scars_of_carma
ghostrat
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ghostrat
Touge Newbie
ghostrat

Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Empty
PostSubject: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:40 am

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

This will clear up any and all misinformation regarding how to design and adjust suspensions for sports cars, at least in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
scars_of_carma
Touge Newbie
scars_of_carma

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Looks good to me, I'll have a better opinion when I read the whole thing... 0_0

+1 Rep for good link!
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 pm

yea, I glanced at this and it is quite in depth. However, too long and no time right now.
Back to top Go down
J_P
Touge Apprentice
J_P

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:48 pm

I've read this before, actual have it bookmarked. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
ghostrat
Touge Newbie
ghostrat

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Yeah it's quite detailed. A lot of what he says goes against what I learned when I was apprenticing in suspension design, but that's only on the matters of 'no, THIS is the best way to do it."
Back to top Go down
scars_of_carma
Touge Newbie
scars_of_carma

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 am

ghostrat wrote:
Yeah it's quite detailed. A lot of what he says goes against what I learned when I was apprenticing in suspension design, but that's only on the matters of 'no, THIS is the best way to do it."

Well as with all things, who says something is just as important as what they say... but this is the internet so that doesn't really apply. On the internet everyone is cool and knows what they are talking about. Those with spiffy websites are cooler and are likely more credible.

I think the technical stuff looks good at a glance, but I kinda wanna know more about the author and what he's done, so that's something else I'll have to look for on the site.
Back to top Go down
SANDERS
Touge Novice
SANDERS

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 9:42 am

...... I only reed one line.... Fell a sleep.....woke up to realize that ever car geometry is different and require different inputs of bound/rebound/camber/caster...etc. If there was a "The only Way" method I would love to have ... JUST THE SPECS!
Back to top Go down
breel
Touge Apprentice
breel

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 am

It's a good starting point for setting up a cheap a** MacStrut system used in 90% of today's production cars. Granted a lot of variables come into play for each car, driver style, and or intentions but the basic principles are the same. Life would be great if we could have F1 style suspensions with center mass and low center of gravity but we'll just have to make do with what we got.
Back to top Go down
SPARTA
Prez
SPARTA

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 am

You can have F1 style suspension, you jut gotta pay for it
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:21 am

meh, I am just going to trade the Sentra for a street legal F! car. They make those right?!?
Back to top Go down
SPARTA
Prez
SPARTA

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:25 am

Ferrari Enzo?
Back to top Go down
breel
Touge Apprentice
breel

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 7:45 pm

I don't think that carbon fiber and bonded AL would survive the damn pot holes in ATL though
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 8:02 pm

haha. damn natural consequences. Car would be totaled without wrecking it...
Back to top Go down
scars_of_carma
Touge Newbie
scars_of_carma

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 2:09 am

Alright, well I just finished reading the entire web-page. I dunno how much time has passed but it feels like a couple hours... my overall impression is that this is very good info. I feel like I've "unlearned" some things that don't make sense anymore. Sometimes its a little winded, but personally I can't really call the kettle-black can I? :p

The sad thing about reading all that though, is that it just makes it painfully obvious how far from real tuning most of us actually are... Like, if someone asked me exactly how much better my best build was compared to stock, I would just blink... cause I have no idea... It's just faster, it feels better... but I dunno by how much or why really. I have no data to base my impressions on. It's just semi-educated guesswork and hopeful observations isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 7:30 am

Yea, it feels like it is way over my head and way more than I would personally want to do to get my car over the hump is handling.

All I really car about is a good alignment, stance, adjustable coilovers, and a corner balance. Everything else will take too much time and money.
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:07 pm

I has springs and a mis-alignment. Must be at least 400% better than stock!!!! Best build evar. Drag racing guys have the easy route when it comes to questions like this. hahah
Back to top Go down
500KEG8
Touge Newbie
500KEG8

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 5:25 pm

bump! this is good stuff!
Back to top Go down
emperor666
Touge Newbie
emperor666

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 1:47 pm

SANDERS wrote:
...... I only reed one line.... Fell a sleep.....woke up to realize that ever car geometry is different and require different inputs of bound/rebound/camber/caster...etc. If there was a "The only Way" method I would love to have ... JUST THE SPECS!

Well said Sir. Specs...
I spent countless hours searching for EVO specs...
And finally after having all specs from multiple cars, race, stock like VI TME etc. I went with my own settings.
That was a good web page he posted for people to get idea about what's what in suspension setup.
However Specs are the most important to make proper judgement for somebody who already knows the way around his suspension.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jdmfactory.com
ap2uner
Twitch
ap2uner

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Good find. I found some specs when I first got coilovers for the s2k, after the initial setup I spent about 3 trips to the alignment rack dialing it in for my personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.   Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Everyone should read this if they have any interest in sports cars.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: