4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?

Go down 
+12
ghostrat
Minnoe07
C_wagginz
emperor666
SPARTA
TouringBubble
breel
J_P
SANDERS
2thAche
Jake
~The_Duke~
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
~The_Duke~
Touge Master

I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 5:10 pm

If you have stability control.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:04 am

Minnoe07 wrote:
If you brake really hard and turn in at the same time, the ABS will not stop you from having your rear end slid out.

No, inertia and the friction limits of the front tires will since you'll be plowing the front end.

You'd need to tun and then brake to step out the rear.
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 4:20 pm

eh, whatever.
Back to top Go down
Lonewolfjulez
Touge Apprentice
Lonewolfjulez

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Minnoe07 wrote:
eh, whatever.

Lol
Back to top Go down
ghostrat
Touge Newbie
ghostrat

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Advice: Drive more.
Back to top Go down
IdiotPilot
Touge Newbie
IdiotPilot

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:50 am

Pull e-brake and start yelling random Japanese words... and everything will be a-OK.
Back to top Go down
ghostrat
Touge Newbie
ghostrat

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:41 am

ABUNAI! ABUNAI! unda unda unda...
Back to top Go down
Tireboi
Touge Newbie
Tireboi

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 4:16 am

if your understeering too much loose some tire pressure upfront.

or go on 240atlanta and ask this question.... What a Face

Last edited by Tireboi on Fri May 21, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Tireboi wrote:
if your understeering too much loose some tire upfront.

or go on 240atlanta and ask this question.... I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Fresse

Since you have crashed 2 STi's so far, I am going to take your advice with a very large grain of salt. I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_pirat
Back to top Go down
ghostrat
Touge Newbie
ghostrat

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 5:55 pm

If you're understeering too much, drive better.
Back to top Go down
SPARTA
Prez
SPARTA

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Ah snap Ghostrat spitting that knowledge
Back to top Go down
Tireboi
Touge Newbie
Tireboi

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:35 pm

crashed two STi? who the hell told u that? ive never been in an accident that been my fault.
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Tireboi wrote:
crashed two STi? who the hell told u that? ive never been in an accident that been my fault.

I am just messing with you, I know none of them were your fault. lol

I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:39 am

ghostrat wrote:
If you're understeering too much, drive better.

QFT.

Basic car control theory:
If you're understeering, you're driving too hard.
Back to top Go down
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:27 pm

^^What he said. And brake sooner.
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Recovering from understeer is easy, that is why most factory cars have a CRAZY bisas toward understeer.

Recovering from understeer = slow your sh*t down...
Back to top Go down
ghostrat
Touge Newbie
ghostrat

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:50 am

As a matter of point, you can 'save' understeer by countersteering, IE steer a bit towards straight then steer back towards where you want to go. Slight and gentle corrections like this scrub speed and help keep you facing away from the wall.

Steering more will scrub speed, too, but steering more when you're understeering is never going to make the car steer more. Increasing the slip angle of the front tires allows you to use LESS of their traction, not more.
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Oh I learned that lesson very well when I was driving a sentra lol
Back to top Go down
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 7:19 pm

And I learned that lesson driving a Tiburon.
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Then you know that lesson 3x more than I do, those things pushed like a 300 pound lady giving birth.
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:41 pm

^PUUUUUSHHHH

anyways, yes understeer is something duke was familiar with. (on an exit ramp... (with a decreasing radius...)) haha.

If you are understeering much you should know you car better. If you are oversteering you just peg the throttle and point in the right direction... Is it not the same in AWD and RWD and it is in FWD??? hahahaha : )
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Actually vance, I was fighting oversteer at the time of my crash. That is why I slide into the little drainage ditch sideways and not head on.

With AWD it is a similar concept kinda sorta with oversteer, but it depends on how far out the rear is and how fast you are going.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:12 am

With AWD it's like a mix of both, but less of everything to correct it. I know that sounds like a minimal understanding of drivetrains, but it really is that simple.

With FWD, you go opposite lock and floor it ... the front wheels pull the rear back in to line.

With RWD, You go opposite lock and feather the thottle ... this shifts the weight toward the front wheels and allows them to steer and pulls a little tq from the rear allowing them to come back in to the friction area slowly.

With AWD, you're dealing with loss of grip on all 4 tires usually, and all 4 trying to gain traction.

The biggest difference that that you don't go full opposite lock in most cases, as this causes the rear to snap back too quickly due to available friction at the rear and the fronts pulling the wrong direction when they do grip. Imagine turning left and going in to a slide ... full right lock ... then grip. You're now in a hard right turn with the rear in a pendulum state ... you're in worse shape than before.

Matting the throttle like FWD at full lock would let the front grip (like FWD), but the rear would still slip and you'd end up again in the situation above once the rear tries to come back around.

So, you use minimal steering correction (or have very fast hands and add a little more steering) and feather the throttle. Just like anything else, when it corrects you have to steer with the slide and end up with the car and the steering in the same direction. Once you gain some grip back and start backing ff the countersteer you can apply throttle gradually and continue your line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?   I've lost it!!! Now what do I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've lost it!!! Now what do I do?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: