4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

Left foot braking

Go down 
+5
scarsofcarma
specVance
~The_Duke~
Lonewolfjulez
Stormhammer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Stormhammer
Touge Newbie
Stormhammer

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:24 pm

What would you guys say the purpose of it being?

I'd say it'd be if you started to plow through a corner, while still having the gas depressed, it'd be an advanced method to rotate the rear to come out of under steer.
Back to top Go down
Lonewolfjulez
Touge Apprentice
Lonewolfjulez

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I though it was used mostly in Fwd cars to help keep the car as neutral as possible when taking hard corners. very tricky to do if you don't do it often because hitting the brakes with your left will feel weird and in turn the pressure applied will not be spot on.
Back to top Go down
Stormhammer
Touge Newbie
Stormhammer

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 2:39 am

Lonewolfjulez wrote:
I though it was used mostly in Fwd cars to help keep the car as neutral as possible when taking hard corners. very tricky to do if you don't do it often because hitting the brakes with your left will feel weird and in turn the pressure applied will not be spot on.

I thought you so but I've noticed in Hot Version drivers doing this also in AWD and some RWD cars as well.

Yeah, just braking with a left foot... my steering wheel has busted my lip before.
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:34 am

So I am going to put my nerd hat on for a second...

The reason for left foot braking in FWD and AWD is to make the front end dive so that more weight will be on the front wheels in a corner situation. Then you want to roll onto the gas while trail braking on the left foot to keep the weight toward the front till you apex.

The reason for this is because of lack of caster, without a good amount of positive caster your car will change level ALOT when brakes are applied and throttle is given. This is the reason for the anti-lift kits. Allows you to make the car to dive, but not to much. Then once throttle is applied the front of the car will stay down giving your front end more bite.

Otherwise its just another school of driving. Its not needed, but can be helpful.
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

I've only really focused on this or used it in full circle situations, like a roundabout or such that I can get dizzy in.
Back to top Go down
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 11:09 pm

There are lots of circumstances or situations that call for left-foot braking. Primarily (in my opinion) to help counteract understeer (as the author of the thread said), or to prevent lift-off oversteer.
Back to top Go down
breel
Touge Apprentice
breel

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 5:08 pm

my circumstance is that I drive a go cart for a daily so left braking is the norm
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:19 pm

It does two things help balance the car and shave a fraction off of your throttle response. Both make you just a little faster.
Back to top Go down
500KEG8
Touge Newbie
500KEG8

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 9:23 am

Back when I had my Prelude, with the stock suspension setup, I was using left foot braking most of the time, esp. around sweepers. The car had a bit of understeer, which was apparent when trying to throttle through most long turns. Instead of letting off the throttle and getting the car pivot (which works well in the Miata), left foot braking was a better way of balancing the car in this case without letting off the throttle, and helping to stay in the powerband longer. I don't know much about the theory behind why this worked so well, but all I know is that it worked!
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Why 4th gen preludes behave the way they do is the suspension geometry is setup so when the rear is compressed it goes into a toe out condition.

The reason why lfb is super effective in a prelude is that the 4wheel brake system acts on all 4 wheels but the rear axle has low rotational mass compared to the front so when you gently lfb while under throttle it shifts the weight forward (this turns the car into a point and squirt machine). The stock suspension in a prelude makes it seem like its a rwd muscle car causing the front end to lift under throttle.
Back to top Go down
500KEG8
Touge Newbie
500KEG8

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 6:43 pm

I had a 3rd gen without the 4-wheel steering for the record Wink
Back to top Go down
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2014 1:28 am

500KEG8 wrote:
Back when I had my Prelude, with the stock suspension setup, I was using left foot braking most of the time, esp. around sweepers. The car had a bit of understeer, which was apparent when trying to throttle through most long turns. Instead of letting off the throttle and getting the car pivot (which works well in the Miata), left foot braking was a better way of balancing the car in this case without letting off the throttle, and helping to stay in the powerband longer. I don't know much about the theory behind why this worked so well, but all I know is that it worked!

I think you explained the theory pretty much right there. Good post! I remember driving my underpowered Honda's the same way. Never Lift! ...add brake as required.
Back to top Go down
Sisukas

Sisukas

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 9:17 pm

It works great for building load during off throttle situations, crucial to driving a turbo car completely flat out. I've never felt it necessary, but tightening up a line mid corner I use it whenever the front wheels are under power. When it's only the rear I will usually lift or breath the throttle for a moment to transfer the weight, basically throttle steer instead.

I hate understeer of any kind so a lot of my cars run no fsb, and usually a slight rate increase. Not sure how I am going to approach this MacPhailson car I have now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gifsforum.com/blog/Sisukas
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 7:10 am

Sisukas wrote:
I hate understeer of any kind so a lot of my cars run no fsb, and usually a slight rate increase. Not sure how I am going to approach this MacPhailson car I have now.

I wouldn't hate on the MacPherson too much... having driven several of both types I think the MacPherson has an edge in outright feel for tire grip (if not necessarily maximizing that grip).

I like to run stiffer AND shorter springs on the macphersons (limiting suspension travel somewhat to minimize the drawbacks of the camber-gain through body-roll).

My fastest build was an FC RX7, setup with a lot of push because of its fat swaybars, stiff bushings and short springs. The macphersons let me feel out the available grip for corner entry very well just by 'sawing' on the wheel.

Because of its stiffness though It HAD to have good tires or it would understeer like a pig.

Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 pm

The ideal mcphearson set up has a camber rate that compensates for body roll. So when you are cornering the car rolls down towards the outside so the camber increases from compression to compensate. Getting this to match is a job for differential equations or trial and error. This is where you would use eliptical/crash bolts, Roll center adjusters, adjustable top hats, and custom Lower control arms.
Back to top Go down
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 11:47 pm

MidnightblueMR2 wrote:
The ideal mcphearson set up has a camber rate that compensates for body roll. So when you are cornering the car rolls down towards the outside so the camber increases from compression to compensate. Getting this to match is a job for differential equations or trial and error. This is where you would use eliptical/crash bolts, Roll center adjusters, adjustable top hats, and custom Lower control arms.

Err... well the factory does a pretty decent job of giving the macpherson some negative camber in a roll... up to a point. That's why I say its suspension travel has to be limited so it doesn't roll beyond that point into the positive-camber-gain zone.

My Mazda RX3 rally car had issues in this regard... which is why I lowered it and shortened the suspension travel before I started driving it on the street.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Left foot braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left foot braking   Left foot braking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Left foot braking
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: