4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

Proper Heel Toe technique

Go down 
+14
leadfoot_mf
~The_Duke~
hllywd6
Buccaneer_9
2thAche
Grocery Grip
Erv
Jason
TouringBubble
mazeroth
J_P
SPARTA
Keegan
RoMe
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Grocery Grip
Touge Apprentice

Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 pm

TouringBubble wrote:
Grocery Grip wrote:
Well in order to get ANY of this correct you have to have a decent set of pedals that'll allow you to do all this

Incorrect. If I can do it in a Scion xB, you can do it in a MS3. It just takes practice. Again, it's a PITA to learn it correctly on the street as braking force is minimal. You really need track time to perfect it.

yea it makes sense Bubble if you have Big Feet!....lol...or sprained ankles...lol
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:10 pm

The issues is partially pedal position, but also braking response. Many cars have brakes that bite hard initially and added pressure adds less actual braking force after that. That's how the Box is too.

So, on the street you only have to apply minimal braking force and you don't move the pedal much. This means that the throttle stays way back. If you were on the track you'd be down on the pedal another 2" or so at least and much closer to the accelerator pedal.

Luckily, the Brembo setups on Evos and STis don't work like that ... they are very linear. Pedal position is better, but that's only half of the issue. ... maybe less than half.
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com
2thAche
Touge Novice
2thAche

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:07 pm

I have long legs also and use the side of my foot on the gas and the ball of my foot on the brake.

Best way to learn is to start on the street, slowing down for traffic lights. It just takes time and practice. I spent alot of time on the street getting it smooth, then in the mts and at the track it takes even more practice.

Just be patient and start by forcing yourself to do it full time on the street.
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfire.net/profile/2thAche.htm
J_P
Touge Apprentice
J_P

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:38 pm

^^^ All good advice

I started learning to rev match by downshifting into 1st in a parking lot. Once I had that I started trying to heel toe while downshifting coming up to a red light, stop sign, or if I was just turning in somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Grocery Grip
Touge Apprentice
Grocery Grip

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:42 pm

i agree 2nd,

practice is the key. Slow speed maneuvering is the best practice.

P.S.- But Drft King, Tanaguchi, Hattori, and Needel make it look sooo easy!
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 pm

You left me off that list ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com
Buccaneer_9

Buccaneer_9

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 2:18 pm

2thAche wrote:
I have long legs also and use the side of my foot on the gas and the ball of my foot on the brake.

Best way to learn is to start on the street, slowing down for traffic lights. It just takes time and practice. I spent alot of time on the street getting it smooth, then in the mts and at the track it takes even more practice.

I'm the same way, side of foot on the gas and ball of foot on the brake. It's pretty fun once you get the hang of it.
Back to top Go down
hllywd6

hllywd6

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 1:18 pm

i'll vouch for the MS3/6 pedals... i've been trying myself and its more difficult than in other cars...
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 4:08 pm

2thAche wrote:

That is how I learned.

I can do it so smooth now that you cant even feel me shift, that takes LOTS of practice time.
Back to top Go down
leadfoot_mf
Touge Apprentice
leadfoot_mf

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 10:35 am

i have found it a challenge to heel toe in the xB because i cant hear the motor.
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:35 am

YAY for brembos.. even though I drive a sentra I agree with the brembo comment. I think it is so nice to heel toe around a corner because it is the smoothest transition.
Back to top Go down
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:13 am

are you saying you're still braking when you go past an apex? understeer?
Back to top Go down
http://www.kevinkeeganpro.com
Grocery Grip
Touge Apprentice
Grocery Grip

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Keegan wrote:
are you saying you're still braking when you go past an apex? understeer?

My sentiments exactly
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 7:45 pm

specVance wrote:
YAY for brembos.. even though I drive a sentra I agree with the brembo comment. I think it is so nice to heel toe around a corner because it is the smoothest transition.

Vance I hope you messed your pharsing up on that, or you are going to get slapped and then taught how to drive correctly...
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:15 am

O wow! Yes that is a mistaken post! I would only heel toe in corner if I were driving duke's car!! haha kidding of course
Back to top Go down
SPARTA
Prez
SPARTA

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:17 am

Uh oh, DUKE YOUR RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS CHARACTER
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:19 am

twas only a mis-phrasing i promise! haha
Back to top Go down
~The_Duke~
Touge Master
~The_Duke~

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 12:37 pm

SPARTA wrote:
Uh oh, DUKE YOUR RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS CHARACTER

It is ok, cas if he falls off a cliff I get to steal his brakes...

His demise makes my car stronger... mwuahahahaha
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 11:38 pm

arrrgggghhh... imma never fall/fail off no cliffens
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 11:41 pm

I swear i'm better at driving than at typing.. .not saying much!
Back to top Go down
zoorah12

zoorah12

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 6:16 pm

hllywd6 wrote:
i'll vouch for the MS3/6 pedals... i've been trying myself and its more difficult than in other cars...

I drive a gen 1 speed 3. It was tough to get the hang of initially, but once I had it down it's really simple. I just brake with the ball of my foot then "roll" my foot and blip the throttle with the other side of it. It's fluid.
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Are you driving fwd red or awd?
Back to top Go down
zoorah12

zoorah12

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 9:39 pm

MidnightblueMR2 wrote:
Are you driving fwd red or awd?

fwd
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 9:58 pm

In that case I use a thin driving shoe, use the ball of my foot on throttle and heel to brake. Normally I'd suggest left foot braking and do all of your shifting and most of your braking before the corner. When you lfb under throttle if your car is set properly will slightly overseer aiding turn in. Then point the wheels to a little inside the exit and throttle out.
Back to top Go down
zoorah12

zoorah12

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:08 pm

MidnightblueMR2 wrote:
In that case I use a thin driving shoe, use the ball of my foot on throttle and heel to brake. Normally I'd suggest left foot braking and do all of your shifting and most of your braking before the corner. When you lfb under throttle if your car is set properly will slightly overseer aiding turn in. Then point the wheels to a little inside the exit and throttle out.

It was easier for me to do the roll technique. It always felt awkward for me to use the heel, maybe i just need to practice more. I left foot brake though which definitely has helped me get faster in the corners, I definitely need to work on my lfb technique though; i struggle a bit with using the throttle during it
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Btw if you go rear toe out you will get way better turn in. You may even need to use countersteer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proper Heel Toe technique   Proper Heel Toe technique - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proper Heel Toe technique
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: