4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

Constructive criticism...

Go down 
+12
bomjoon
SANDERS
Grocery Grip
Jake
nicad
scars_of_carma
Lonewolfjulez
Keegan
TouringBubble
Minnoe07
Jason
specVance
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
specVance
Touge Apprentice

Constructive criticism... Empty
PostSubject: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:36 am

While it may be hard to hear, and we all know bom has no flaws, I think we can all benefit from constructive criticism(in all of life.) But since this is a touge forum if there is anyhting you see me personally do wrong up in the mts I wouldn't mind hearing it. I assume most of us would like to become better so lets hear it for help form the homies.

We already criticize each others grammar to make it better lets do the same for driving.
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:12 am

Drive in gravel pits...
Back to top Go down
http://4touge.com
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:36 am

You beat me to it! lol
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 pm

Yeah, but some people don't like to hear that stuff ... Joey, for example, can't stand hearing me tell him to use his brakes. lol.

I honestly think in this instance we should wait to be asked about things before weighing in. While me mean well, it can easily come off as cockiness ... "I can drive better and let me tell you why."

I think we could all use feedback and should ask for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.projecttuning.com
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:06 pm

that's gonna be very difficult on this forum...prove me wrong
Back to top Go down
http://www.kevinkeeganpro.com
Lonewolfjulez
Touge Apprentice
Lonewolfjulez

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 pm

You all suck and Im teh best, not just driving at life!
and oh yeah yer face!

lol my best bom impression
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:52 pm

Jason wrote:
Drive in gravel pits...

daaaaamnit
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:52 pm

Lonewolfjulez wrote:
You all suck and Im teh best, not just driving at life!
and oh yeah yer face!

lol my best bom impression

hahaha
Back to top Go down
scars_of_carma
Touge Newbie
scars_of_carma

PostSubject: Constructive Criticism FTW   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:07 pm

specVance wrote:
While it may be hard to hear, I think we can all benefit from constructive criticism(in all of life.) But since this is a touge forum if there is anyhting you see me personally do wrong up in the mts I wouldn't mind hearing it.

You just went up a notch in my book. This is a great attitude to have!

TouringBubble wrote:
Yeah, but some people don't like to hear that stuff ... Joey, for example, can't stand hearing me tell him to use his brakes. lol.

I honestly think in this instance we should wait to be asked about things before weighing in. While me mean well, it can easily come off as cockiness ... "I can drive better and let me tell you why."

I think we could all use feedback and should ask for it.

Coaching Others
This is true, some people don't like to be coached. I admit I don't have much patience for people that aren't good listeners. Sometimes the only way to convince anyone is to prove it. Unfortunately with driving this is usually a bad idea because driving for the sake of your ego is the easiest way to make mistakes.

If someone doesn't listen (usually because they can't stand being told what to do by someone much younger) and they are slow I have no problems teaching by example. I'll say something like... if you want me to do a lap I can show you what I mean... that's a nice non-confrontational way of saying I can prove it. Usually that works to help someone take me seriously.

If someone is equal to my skill level I don't ever try and tell them I'm faster... in fact I usually begin every sentence with your good. This shows that I respect their skill which usually also means I get their respect. If I do see anything I think could be improved I won't order them to do it i'll merely suggestions and/or observations like this. Have you tried to do it this way? or the line I like to use here is a late apex.

If someone is better then me I'll admit it and keep my mouth shut. Nobody wants a passenger, much less a coach, that's in over their head. For example my most thilling rides on racetracks were in 911's, which as we all know require special skills to handle. I wouldn't dream of telling someone that owns a 911 what to do with it when I have no personal experience driving anything remotely similar.

Also, its important to respect the drivers concentration as a passenger. If he wants to talk, he'll let you know... Given the opportunity I may harass them later with lots of noob-like questions but while I'm in the car I let the driver practice in peace.

I like to think of it like this... the most important part of the car is the driver which also makes them the most important person in the car.

Myself
Personally I can't stand being coached by anyone unless its a good idea. For instance I wouldn't turn down coaching at a racing school because I have no experience racing. I'm humble enough to know that.

I'm an instinctual driver which makes coaching me very difficult. To do my best I need to relax and free my mind... as corny as that sounds. Obviously I can't do that with someone talking in my ear. In order to have full confidence in my instincts I have to focus.

It's a great feeling when your brain clicks into that higher wavelength where you know what to do and trust yourself to do it. That's what I call being high lol. You're conscious mind is still observing and learning but its not as if it's in charge anymore. You take notes that you'll digest later with mental slow-motion replays lol.

It sounds really corny to say this but adrenaline isn't a bad thing if its not released by fear. Adrenaline released by excitement at the edge of control will help you concentrate better and react faster. I believe this is what they mean when some people say that everything seems to get slower when you go faster.

Unfortunately that sort of feeling rarely happens on the touge doing 7/10th's but thats ok. I'm fine doing my thrill seeking on the racetack just don't tell me to slow down! That happened to me once on a go-cart track... I was like... are you serious? really???

Coaching from a chase car
I haven't done this personally but if I ever did a chance to run with other touge drivers this would be the best way to coach me. However on the rare occassion that I've been chasing my friends on the touge I have trouble concentrating on what I'm doing out of concern for them. I would honestly prefer to be riding with them because at least then I will worry more about myself.
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:26 pm

I see where you're coming from, but racers are a proud bunch, especially on the Touge. On a race track where people expect to have instructors, it's not that bad, but just randomly giving advise will nearly always come off a cockiness in a situation like Touge where everyone things they are awesome drivers.

I do like your notes though. Very good tips. But, pulling them off will be difficult ...
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Lets do more ride alongs then guys. easy to see errors from the passenger seat. and I know I am only beginning to figure lines out and all that jazz
Back to top Go down
Lonewolfjulez
Touge Apprentice
Lonewolfjulez

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:15 pm

Ride a longs sound cool. But for some reason I feel more "In The Zone" when nobody is in the car with me, it just feels smoother

I dunno
Back to top Go down
nicad
Touge Newbie
nicad

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:02 pm

you guys treat this touge stuff like it's some kind of dick waving japanese video game. relaaaaaaaaaax
Back to top Go down
http://www.sregg.in
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm

^so true.
Back to top Go down
http://4touge.com
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 5:51 pm

nicad wrote:
you guys treat this touge stuff like it's some kind of dick waving japanese video game. relaaaaaaaaaax

I haven't played any of those games, mainly just cod and mario kart...
Back to top Go down
Jake
Special award-Air force
Special award-Air force
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 6:36 pm

lolz. yeah this is a mountain run/touge forum. and we are serious enthusiasts, but i wouldn't say we are the most technical bunch....
Back to top Go down
Lonewolfjulez
Touge Apprentice
Lonewolfjulez

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 7:57 pm

nicad wrote:

COD and Forza for the most part
Back to top Go down
scars_of_carma
Touge Newbie
scars_of_carma

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:51 pm

nicad wrote:
relaaaaaaaaaax

no... I refuse bounce
Back to top Go down
Grocery Grip
Touge Apprentice
Grocery Grip

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:13 pm

bubble i think you met you match in the name of carma! He types as much as you do!

East coast vs. West coast!!
Back to top Go down
scars_of_carma
Touge Newbie
scars_of_carma

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 1:35 am

Grocery Grip wrote:
bubble i think you met you match in the name of carma! He types as much as you do!

East coast vs. West coast!!

Funny how post count is based on the # of posts and not the size of the post. It should be measured on word-count or something its not fair...

Writing posts is harrrd! I'm tryyyying!!!
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 9:08 am

I guess I have met my match ... I'll have to step up my game. Or, I'll let Scars take the theory stuff and I'll stick with the tech postings. TWO PRONGED TYPING ATTACK!
Back to top Go down
SANDERS
Touge Novice
SANDERS

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Knowing the roads, anticipating what's around the next turn, knowing you and your vehicles' physical limitations.... So many factorys when doing this kinda driving on the road. There are too many people on the road to try and find my limits. Finding a good running pace and being able to keep a group under control and not trying to set some land speed record every time you get on the road.

I agree with learning more about your driving abilities and learning how to improve what you feel is a week spot in your driving habits ie white knuckling the wheel, large fast movements, over corrections, not knowing your breaking threshholds.... But on the touge, You have one lane to maintain, and usually people front and rear of you. Relax and just enjoy the driving experence.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 9:13 pm

specVance wrote:
While it may be hard to hear, and we all know bom has no flaws, .

this +1

lol i just saw this thread. wtf.

matt. i dont use brakes cuz im in too much of a hurry and i often go into a corner waaaay too fast and tend to plow the car straight like the last time i autoxed...

besides no brakes = faster speeds... unless you get a tree in the way. lol

i do need to fix that problem though you are right.

i dont think i can have a instructor in the car with me... i would open the door and F'n kick him out while doing 100mph+
i cant stand people telling me what to do. if you pay my bills then you can tell me what to do. but other than that STFU~!
Back to top Go down
TouringBubble
Touge Apprentice
TouringBubble

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 8:43 am

bomjoon wrote:

this +1

lol i just saw this thread. wtf.

matt. i dont use brakes cuz im in too much of a hurry and i often go into a corner waaaay too fast and tend to plow the car straight like the last time i autoxed...

besides no brakes = faster speeds... unless you get a tree in the way. lol

i do need to fix that problem though you are right.

i dont think i can have a instructor in the car with me... i would open the door and F'n kick him out while doing 100mph+
i cant stand people telling me what to do. if you pay my bills then you can tell me what to do. but other than that STFU~!

You can always count on Joey to be candid. lol. But, this is exactly why it's difficult to coach people. In the me and Joey example, I can at least back up what I'm saying with my times on course. With touge, it's all very subjective.

Joey is the one to say it, but most of us think this way on the mountains. "I'll do it my way, STFU."
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 1:26 pm

TouringBubble wrote:
"I'll do it my way, STFU you filthy smelly pirate hooker~!."

fixed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Constructive criticism...   Constructive criticism... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Constructive criticism...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: