4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

Lanecrossing/linecrossing

Go down 
+15
JaredM
tuner_dude
scarsofcarma
Minnoe07
mazeroth
bluedestiny
TouringBubble
specVance
J_P
2thAche
Erv
SPARTA
bixs
Lonewolfjulez
ghostrat
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mazeroth
Touge Apprentice

Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 pm

specVance wrote:
So, interesting read, but it is clear everyone agrees the only time to cross the double yellow is ON ACCIDENT. We all agree here on that topic. Now I have been thinking about it slightly differently for a while; while there is not the same risk involved, how does everyone feel about using both lanes in the double lane areas? Say headed up blood or any such rd? Crossing the whites isn't illegal but it does remove some of the curve. I notice some of you guys use only one lane while some use both as one big lane. Thoughts?

I think we should pick one and stick with it. I go either or and usually it depends on who I'm following. Sometimes I follow a person that uses both, sometimes only one, and sometimes mix and match depending on the road/curve.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joeyrivera.com
J_P
Touge Apprentice
J_P

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 pm

I normally stick to 1 lane because I like to carve the curves if you will. However, I have to admit I have used both when we are running in a group and the person in front starts using both. Not always, but I do remember doing it a few select times. Once at night when there was NO traffic.
Back to top Go down
Erv
Touge Apprentice
Erv

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 pm

I use both up bld, mainly because most of them are hairpins, and hairpins get boring to me, also, as you'll not in any video of my car I use every single inch of road available to me. If I have two safe lanes then those are both available. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SPARTA
Prez
SPARTA

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Good to know you guys' preferences going up blood mountain as a group
Back to top Go down
bixs
Touge Novice
bixs

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:24 pm

i guess i'm hypocritical. i do use both lanes (over white, up the mtn) if i need to when i'm following. solo or if the person ahead of me is not, I will not. generally on the curves where I know I will be swinging it wide coming out
Back to top Go down
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:54 pm

I dunno, I hope that nobody is pushing their car too much to go over the double yellow line on accident. Those kind of mistakes can get people hurt.

I use both only when I have clear view and there are no cars, period.
Back to top Go down
J_P
Touge Apprentice
J_P

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Minnoe, Don't confuse crossing the double yellow with using both lanes (fast and slow) going up 129. Are you saying you cut over double yellow when it's clear or you use both fast and slow lanes going up 129 if there are no cars?

1 mistake is lethal on the Mtn. Nobody should be pushing 10/10ths.
Back to top Go down
Erv
Touge Apprentice
Erv

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 6:54 pm

I never drive 10/10ths on a public road, Usually not 7/10ths, but, even pros make mistakes.
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 7:05 pm

Yes, well in a group it is obviously polite to keep up with the guy ahead of you. Or behind you. I have done both in the white line scenario. Of course, using both lanes ruins some of the safety there. It is nice to get that extra push knowing there is another lane to fall back on.
Back to top Go down
specVance
Touge Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 7:06 pm

and yes, obviously we all agree 10/10ths is a no go, part of the reason we on this board right? I have been noted, comically, as using blinkers while using both white lanes..
Back to top Go down
SPARTA
Prez
SPARTA

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 7:12 pm

I sometimes use blinkers too lmao.
Back to top Go down
J_P
Touge Apprentice
J_P

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm a blinker guy too. Everybody I've had the pleasure of driving with on this site have been safe and skilled. The only exceptions I can think of aren't on here.
Back to top Go down
2thAche
Touge Novice
2thAche

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Quote :
how does everyone feel about using both lanes in the double lane areas?

I run with someone who is against that, but on 129 I think it's fun using both lanes if it's clear of traffic and I'm with people who I trust (trust that they'll be aware of where I am). If I'm with people I don't know/trust I'll stick to one lane so they know where I am.

If there are random cars around I wait till they are out of sight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfire.net/profile/2thAche.htm
bixs
Touge Novice
bixs

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 8:35 pm

If anything one of the main reasons to try to stick to one lane in double lane area is, as a bystander I would immediately consider anyone doing that as being reckless.

I use blinkers rediculously, it's one of the few available ways you communicate with those around you while driving
Back to top Go down
Minnoe07
Touge Apprentice
Minnoe07

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:45 pm

ghostrat wrote:
To define, lanecrossing is going into a lane designated for traffic moving in the opposite direction.

I'm a lanecrosser, I admit it, though I only cross the lines if a) I can see and b) it will actually make me faster.

I see a lot of people crossing lanes when it doesn't serve to add speed and I'm honestly offended if I see someone do it around a blind corner. What are your thoughts, errbody?

Talking about traffic in the opposite direction.

I will use a lane if it is going in the same direction.

I will not use a lane if it is in the opposite direction unless there is 100% view and 0 visible cars.
Back to top Go down
scarsofcarma
Touge Newbie
scarsofcarma

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 3:02 am

I've debated this so much I have no energy left to talk about it lol
Back to top Go down
tuner_dude
Touge Newbie
tuner_dude

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 am

before i met you guys i would do the double yellows and all No ... but now i been going to both fast and slow lanes with out traffic... if i follow someone and i see them using the fast/slow lanes i will do the same
Back to top Go down
bixs
Touge Novice
bixs

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 11:08 am

I learned early on in life. Ohio doesn't have too many winding roads, but when there is and you're hauling a** you can almost take bets on the chances of a large piece of farm equipment coming the other way.

For the double lanes on Blood Mountain, I have been tending to go both lanes lately if there's not many people around and only on the sharper turns.
Back to top Go down
JaredM
Touge Apprentice
JaredM

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 10:01 pm

i double lane to setup for the next sharp turn on blood mountain
Back to top Go down
500KEG8
Touge Newbie
500KEG8

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Instances where you should never cross over:

Daytime, Rain (or other inclement weather) , Road with many accesses, Bad camber, Crests, Blind corners, and Unfamiliar road.

Instances where it might be safer to cross:

Clear nighttime (watch for those headlights), Closed course (no access in between) usually with spotters on either end, Open corners (clear view of what's coming), and of course all on a well known road.

Learning to drive within the lines though can help with becoming a better driver.
Back to top Go down
MidnightblueMR2
Touge Newbie
MidnightblueMR2

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 11:58 pm

I almost never cross the line unless avoiding a cyclist, animal, or obstruction.
However if the road is closed and controlled I will drift both lanes one bumper on each white line.
Back to top Go down
JaredM
Touge Apprentice
JaredM

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:32 am

PS. the two lanes we're talking about is 2lanes going up the mountain, not the double yellow
Back to top Go down
Lonewolfjulez
Touge Apprentice
Lonewolfjulez

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:00 am

I had to cross the double yellow a few weeks ago. ( Road Workers ) I immediately started speaking with a British accent.
Back to top Go down
JaredM
Touge Apprentice
JaredM

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 6:36 pm

ohyou.jpg

change your pic to dana's old car already
Back to top Go down
Lonewolfjulez
Touge Apprentice
Lonewolfjulez

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 1:37 am

Nah I like my E 30 pic lol
Back to top Go down
mjtouge

mjtouge

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:55 pm

I originally learned to touge using both lanes, but I've come to realize after talking to Nar (scarsofcarma) and also Johnny Tsunami, that single-laning has more merits. Not just in the sense that it forces you to learn better speed-control, but also because it is safer. In my experience it's important to leave that other lane open as an escape zone. Obstacles like boulders, tree-branches, deer (living or dead) can find themselves in your path, so by single-laning you are leaving that other lane open in case you need it for an emergency maneuver.
Back to top Go down
http://touge.club
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lanecrossing/linecrossing   Lanecrossing/linecrossing - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lanecrossing/linecrossing
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: