4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

If You Could Only Give One Tip

Go down 
+23
blake0387
mynameismike
Erv
ChukiDori
SidewayZ
Keegan
FACE
Trekster
bomjoon
BOPGUN
SPARTA
TouringBubble
2thAche
Jewels
Simontibbett
Greg
hsuphotography
Jason
EvoLady
pEd
Jon-San
Jake
RoMe
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Greg
Touge Novice

If You Could Only Give One Tip Empty
PostSubject: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 11:28 pm

OK, if you could only give one tip to someone who is wanting to improve their performance driving, what would it be?

Mine is:
Slow in, Fast out
If you go too deep into a corner, your going to scrub off a lot of time due to the fact that the car is either going to push (understeer) or rotate (oversteer), and you'll have to spend that time correcting it. If you go a little slower into the corner, it'll give you a better corner exit speed for the straight ahead.
Back to top Go down
hsuphotography
Touge Novice
hsuphotography

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 11:32 pm

good tip!!! always love to "go in slow and out fast" it is safe too!!! :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 11:38 pm

wow chin....ha

That is a good tip greg!

I always like the 70% rule...
Drive at 70% of your limit/cars limit. It leaves room for error and you still have fun and learn something up there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kevinkeeganpro.com
Greg
Touge Novice

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 11:51 pm

its actually called "trail braking" but... Its the practice of completing most of your braking before corner entry as to not affect the traction by adding two different forces on it. Brakes and steering input. If you brake and steer at the sametime, you risk a chance of locking it up (and creating flat spots), but if you can complete the main braking before corner entry, you can "trail" the brakes lightly into the apex where you'll pickup on the gas. Also, since we're talking about corner entry and brakes. If the speed of the corner allows you to stay in the same gear for corner entry and exit, then its also a good idea to practice the use of 'left foot' braking. It allows you to roll onto the gas quicker, and for turbo cars like ours, you can actually spool the turbo up before exit.
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 12:32 am

That is the normal practice on a motorcycle. I'm not sure if any of you have been on a motorcycle in a turn, but if you brake in a turn, the bike will tend to stand up. loosing your line(Not good!). I guess thats why that style of corner entry comes so naturally to me. After all I did learn the roads we drive on my bike.
Back to top Go down
http://4touge.com
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 9:31 am

check your ride before heading up for some touge.
this includes tires, pressure, oil, ... gas? lol
and have you some basic hand tools and a 2way radio.

you dont want your car failing on you when going 70 through a long sweeping turn and head straight down the cliff.

and always go with someone else you dont wanna be stranded out there up in da mountains unless you wanna shoot some footage of "man vs. wild". LOL
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 10:27 am

Fire extinguisher is a good thing to have. But PLEASE don't strap it to your pillar.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 10:59 am

why not on a pillar? its the quickest place for your hands to get to.

i mean it looks kinda ricey but...
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 11:09 am

That my point, but so many civics have them and don't even need them. The whole pillar thing is played out. IMO

I have mine in the glove box. Very easy to get to.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 11:12 am

i got stuff in my glove box so i have to have one in the floor or something... may be on the harness bar
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 11:17 am

That could work.
Back to top Go down
Greg
Touge Novice

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 12:43 pm

Just get you a fire system so you just have to pull the handle and the whole car gets sprayed by dif. nozzles... geek
Back to top Go down
hsuphotography
Touge Novice
hsuphotography

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 1:04 pm

or you can just clean out your glove box and then you good to go! unless you have your goodies in there. tongue
Back to top Go down
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 7:39 pm

"this house is clear!!!" - poltergeist
Back to top Go down
Greg
Touge Novice

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 8:38 pm

Alright well, since no one else is adding any.... I'll keep going...

Smoothness:
A lot of people think that in racing, everything is done rapidly and harsh. That really isn't the case. It all has to be precise and smooth in order for the car to work in your favor. This all works in conjuction with the post I made about the slow in fast out. When entering a corner, do not just romp on the brakes, trailbrake or fade into them upon corner entry and make sure that all of your braking is completed by the apex, cause then its time to ROLL onto the gas. Now when accelerating, you do not want to just stomp the gas cause its going to upset the car, and you for that matter. You'll want to just roll into the gas with a steady increase in pressure upon corner exit. This will give you a lot more control going into, and out of a corner...
Here is a diagram breaking down the corner...
If You Could Only Give One Tip Cornering1
If you follow the geometric line (contour of the curve) your going to substantially lose time. When taking corners, you want to turn everything into as straight of a line as possible, cause thats where the speed is. You'll hit corner entry, cut to the apex, hit the exit and go... You don't just follow the turn and go where it takes you.
Back to top Go down
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 10:42 pm

ooooo a picture...i likey

though i think this is a bit more difficult when stuck in one lane roads like we are most of the time...but when theres a passing lane...its on Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Greg
Touge Novice

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Thats just the thing... you can practice making the line in a single lane also... Just go from the dotted yellow (double... whatever) to the white and then back... theres plenty of room to move around in a single lane. after the apex let it 'drift' out (not like drifting.... but) to the exit mark...
Back to top Go down
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 12:38 am

yeah i do that...but still not as much room/speed involved
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 2:16 am

Bomjoon, you taking notes?
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 7:21 am

dude i dont need to take notes.
Back to top Go down
RoMe
Touge Novice
RoMe

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 9:24 am

Shoot, I need to take notes I got a little over confident up there with the new springs!! I almost added that new off road mtn paint to the 92x affraid
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BarbyD84#!/profile.php?ref=profile&a
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 10:50 am

http://4touge.com/rulesoftouge.html

the main thing in that is to drive 70% or 7/10ths

leave room for mistakes especially while learning a car so to speak.
Back to top Go down
Greg
Touge Novice

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 5:05 pm

As dumb as it may seem.... Loosing control for an instant is kind of a good thing. It lets you know where the breaking point of your traction is... It also makes you realize that its not all fun and games when your up there...
Back to top Go down
Trekster
Touge Apprentice
Trekster

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 7:20 pm

: don't think too much when you're driving.

EX: Am i going to lose control and fall off the mountain and die?

if you do, you will and die, don't worry. If you don't, you live and you're happy, don't worry.

: keep smooth constant speed through the corners. no throttle lifting and no gear changes.

:always double clutch, rev match, toe and heel wherever possible. Better yet, just do em on your regular daily driving, all the time, always and keep doing it until your body automatically do it.

:staying in red line won't kill your car. if you have to stay there, it's a nice place to be. better than mid apex gear change. plan ahead i guess.

Lastly, don't die.

O Rly?
Back to top Go down
Jake
Special award-Air force
Special award-Air force
Jake

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 pm

i dont know about staying in the redline, not really a smart idea with boxer motors, unless they are blueprinted and balanced past 8500rpms....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If You Could Only Give One Tip
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: