4touge.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

If You Could Only Give One Tip

Go down 
+23
blake0387
mynameismike
Erv
ChukiDori
SidewayZ
Keegan
FACE
Trekster
bomjoon
BOPGUN
SPARTA
TouringBubble
2thAche
Jewels
Simontibbett
Greg
hsuphotography
Jason
EvoLady
pEd
Jon-San
Jake
RoMe
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake
Special award-Air force
Special award-Air force

If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 pm

i dont know about staying in the redline, not really a smart idea with boxer motors, unless they are blueprinted and balanced past 8500rpms....
Back to top Go down
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 9:33 pm

True, but practice heel toe...if you heel toe down shift properly the car's balance shouldn't be affected and a mid corner shift is acceptable but still not ideal. plan ahead is the key.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kevinkeeganpro.com
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 9:40 pm

I don't think thats what he means Jake. In some cases if you didn't set your self up for the turn correctly, you can be in a turn at or near read line. In this case I agree its best to stay in that Gear and shift after the turn. The Key is to not get your self into that position. Like Trekster said, Practice your heal toe and learn your car. So when entering a particular turn, you will know what gear to be in and how to get in it with out upsetting the balance of the car.

I hope Trekster and I are on the same page.
Back to top Go down
http://4touge.com
Jake
Special award-Air force
Special award-Air force
Jake

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 9:52 pm

yes, keep the revs up just not bouncing off the rev limiter.

otherwise your car might smoke..............
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 8:09 am

well trekster has the infamous f20 engine so he likes to rev to 9k frequently although it takes him like a minute or two to get there LOL j/k
Back to top Go down
Trekster
Touge Apprentice
Trekster

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 1:53 pm

Jason wrote:
I don't think thats what he means Jake. In some cases if you didn't set your self up for the turn correctly, you can be in a turn at or near read line. In this case I agree its best to stay in that Gear and shift after the turn. The Key is to not get your self into that position. Like Trekster said, Practice your heal toe and learn your car. So when entering a particular turn, you will know what gear to be in and how to get in it with out upsetting the balance of the car.

I hope Trekster and I are on the same page.

yes. same page. very good description jason. I think that's the first mistake people make, shifting in mid cornering or throttle lifting.

Setting up yourself is the best key to success. like it was mentioned before, slow in, fast out and don't 100% throttle until you know you wont be off of it.

However, things happen and if you do have to brake mid apex, left foot braking with right foot on the throttle (this will boost brake on FI cars) through the curves and get out quicker. This tend to smooth out the transition of braking mid apex without upsetting the balance too much.

If you have to shift mid apex for some odd reason, I found that slipping your clutch while you're giving little more throttle while shifting doesn't upset the car too much.

anyway, just little things that I've experienced.

left foot braking and throttle while turning is hard on FI, because if you don't balance it out right, you'll loose all control coming out of the corner, since you've already built up a lot of boost.

FYI: I don't have a boxer engine.
Back to top Go down
Trekster
Touge Apprentice
Trekster

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 1:55 pm

yes, it actually takes me 15 minutes to get up to 9000rpm. I have timed it before. even took a nap before.
Back to top Go down
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 1:56 pm

lol, good call sung.
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 10:24 pm

Oh thats Sung? I'm confused.
Back to top Go down
Keegan
Touge Master
Keegan

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 12:40 am

trekster is sung...i added a few of peoples real names in the admin notes section of there user profile. check it out.
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:06 am

I'm All good now. What up Sung. I saw you at blockbuster the other day.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 7:23 am

O rly? so you did see sara.
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 10:36 am

I dont know.
Back to top Go down
Jon-San

Jon-San

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 11:54 am

I would say leave your ego at home....We all say that, but no doubt, when the time comes to go on a mountain run, I find myself having a tendency to want to be noticed and impress people who "don't know" so to speak...

Also, everyone's car is different for the most part in terms of setup, etc. so don't try to impress anyone - even yourself - we are all doing this for fun. If we wanted more of a competitive atmosphere, then that's what a track is for.

I, for one, don't want to wreck my car or endanger myself or anyone else just because I'm trying to not appear skillful...Anyone coming up to the mountains with us (even those among us) need to squash that mentality and I would even go so far to say that even some of our responses to one another after particular runs should be tailored to encourage rather than make someone feel inadequate - therefore producing a desire within them to prove themselves the next time out...for example, use replies like, "That was awesome! Hopefully everyone learned their car a bit more today."....instead of, "Yeah, I'm the man! The rest of you suck because you couldn't keep up with the ooey-gooey stickiness of my skillz. Come challenge the big dog when brush up on your technique!"

...I hope that makes sense and helps - just suggestions - if it doesn't apply to you, then don't worry about it....my point is that we're her to have fun and enjoy our cars, not make it a "My peepee is bigger than your peepee" thing. elephant
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 12:01 pm

yeah just stay at your own pace thats the most important thing
Back to top Go down
Trekster
Touge Apprentice
Trekster

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Hey Jason. I didn't know who that was, but I think I saw you. Sara said she waved at you.

All of the time I lead, the first pass would always be slow, so people could get the feeling of the road (dragon). There are some guys who do some wreckless things and it puts everyone at risk. That and we've always divided into 2 groups for people who's been to the dragon before and who's never been. We'll have one experience person up front and one experienced person at the end to make sure nobody falls off the mountain. Safety is a serious thing. You must think about safety at all costs.

It's harder leading then following, so you really do need to give the person who's leading some room to brake and what not, so he's focus isn't so much on the person who's tailgating at the back. Always drive with people in the back in your mind when you're leading. This actually applies to everyone, since you need to give them chance to react to your braking. Also, you need to make sure everyone in the group is good. just be mindful of people in front of you and back of you. but i'm sure you guys all know about this.

It's not fun leading. you worry too much about the people who's following to have any sort of fun on your own. You're constantly looking back to trying to see the last car in the group to make sure everyone is safe.

Whenever we did our runs, people just had a fun time, no mucho man attitudes, just making sure everyone had fun safety and not go off the mountain. That's should be the number one thing.

Some of the z guys were just plain wreckless though when I was at the z day.

If you're gonna be crazy and do your own thing, make sure you're not in a group. Only time I went crazy enough to a point where I almost ran off the mountain was at the dragon by myself chasing this guy from michigan in a 1000cc hybrid bike. I kept up pretty good and it was fun, but scary. he's been up there for 11 years, which was cool. He's in one of the bike forums. I talked to him briefly after I got home. Nice guy.
Back to top Go down
Trekster
Touge Apprentice
Trekster

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 12:53 pm

i post too much. I'm gonna go now. bye.
Back to top Go down
EvoLady

EvoLady

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 12:54 pm

true about leaving the ego at home. i've been there done that and ended up off the mountain.

what i try to do when i go is to focus on is driving the my ability and my cars abiltiy. i know what my car can and can't do now so that's where i try to stay.

if it's your first time then it's nice to follow someone. to see how they take corners, where they brake and shift especially if they have a similar car. just make sure you don't get behind the fastest car in the pack because you will find yourself wanting to keep up and being pushed from the cars behind.

smooth is fast. do everything as smooth as possible and if you have to move quickly to avoid say a DEER then use small quick movements. don't just yank the wheel in one direction or the other. it's better to hit whatever is in your way then miss it and end up off in the woods somewhere.

my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/evolady
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 12:56 pm

O RLY?
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:01 pm

EvoLady wrote:
true about leaving the ego at home. i've been there done that and ended up off the mountain.

what i try to do when i go is to focus on is driving the my ability and my cars abiltiy. i know what my car can and can't do now so that's where i try to stay.

if it's your first time then it's nice to follow someone. to see how they take corners, where they brake and shift especially if they have a similar car. just make sure you don't get behind the fastest car in the pack because you will find yourself wanting to keep up and being pushed from the cars behind.

smooth is fast. do everything as smooth as possible and if you have to move quickly to avoid say a DEER then use small quick movements. don't just yank the wheel in one direction or the other. it's better to hit whatever is in your way then miss it and end up off in the woods somewhere.

my 2 cents.

See Heather This is how Girls should talk.

Keegan let convence Heather to get an EVO. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Jason
TOUGE SENSEI
Jason

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:03 pm

Sung, your the Man.
Back to top Go down
Trekster
Touge Apprentice
Trekster

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:12 pm

Sara said everything I meant to say but more consciously.

I guess you guys could delete my previous post.

no, no, no, Jason, you're the man.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:16 pm

well if you guys wanna fight over whos going to be "the man" i'l be the man. heh~ Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 2:17 pm

i drive an explorer jason... and i really dont have an experience in driving fast, but here you go:

keep your eyes on the road, not on the girl in the passanger seat with a short skirt on... it can cause accidents.
Back to top Go down
bomjoon
POST WHORE!!
bomjoon

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 2:19 pm

not if you can multi task lol look at the girl and drive. haha

j/k this is not recommended
Back to top Go down
pEd
Touge Newbie

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 3:02 pm

umm.... isn't this why you have two hands???

One for the steering wheel and the other for the girl?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Only Give One Tip   If You Could Only Give One Tip - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If You Could Only Give One Tip
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4touge.com Forum :: Touge :: Methodology-
Jump to: